A WebQuest for Secondary 4 and 5 students (ESL)
Corrine Chabot, Jérémi Dalpé, Doria Ayadi and Boubakeur Laatar
Image courtesy of: Clipart, from Microsoft Office
Over the next six classes,
you will all become experts of the
Essentially, your role is
to discover and illustrate why YOUR
wonder is the best one to visit and why it is worthy of being included in the
At the Tourism Symposium,
there will be groups representing such wonders as: the Great Barrier Reef, the
1. First thing you will do: take out a piece of paper and try to write down all the wonders you already know. Once you are done, you will share the list with your classmates. Then, to see how many you got right, you will go onto the site: http://wonderclub.com/AllWorldWonders.html
Wonder of the World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_World
3. Next, you will be divided into groups of four and you will be given one of the Seven Wonders which your group will be responsible for.
4. Now, here are links that will guide you in creating your travel brochure. However, remember that you can be as original and creative as you want:
5. Now, to give you an idea of how you may want to develop your video, things you may want to include in your video, or just to inspire you in creating your video, you will look at the following sites. Remember, you can be as original and as creative as you wish:
Travelistic: Videos for Travellers: http://www.travelistic.com/
8. Upon completing your brochure, in your groups, you will now make the video. If you do not have a digital video camera to your disposal, you will reserve the school’s camera by seeing me. Videos should be no longer than 5 minutes, and the tasks in making your video should be done cooperatively.
9. Finally, it is time for you to prepare your kiosk to get ready for the Tourism Symposium. You will need to organize all the aesthetic materials that you will need in order to advertise your wonder, like: maps, pictures, music and so on, and prepare all the logistics to present your video. You will have roughly a half hour to present in all, yet only two people at a time will be responsible for managing the kiosk. Therefore you will be at your kiosk for 15 minutes in total. In teams of two, you will present your video, your brochure and answer any questions that the ‘tourists’ may have. At this time, the other two people in your group will visit the other kiosks and act as a ‘tourist’. You will have a peer evaluation form that you will need to fill out based on the other kiosks.
You will be evaluated by your peers, by your teacher and you will be evaluating yourself. The Peer evaluation will be done at the convention and you will be given a group mark out of ten. The teacher evaluation will be completed after the convention and will be given back to you, with feedback, the following class. This evaluation will be for individual grades and will be worth twenty marks. Finally, you will be evaluating yourself and are asked to write a reflection. You will take the average of the points that you attributed to yourself, in order to give yourself a mark out of 5. Overall, this project will be out of 35 %. You will find all the evaluation sheets listing the criteria of your evaluation by clicking on the following links:
After you have all become experts on the wonder explored by your group, and have been exposed to the other wonders of the other groups through the convention, you will have enough knowledge to be able to define what makes a wonder worthy of achieving such a world renowned list. As a class, you will now have to reflect on what you have learned through accomplishing this project in order to come up with a new wonder to add to the list. There has recently been a contest for adding new wonders to the list.
Check out this site to see what World wonders were nominated and which ones won: http://www.new7wonders.com/
Visit this site to see which Canadian wonders were nominated and which ones won: http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/index.html
Visit this site to see what other students think
should be the
Your job is to add a new wonder to the list. Can you come up with a Canadian wonder that you think should be added? After looking at all these links, write down your nomination and reason for nominating it. Then we will look at our nominations as a class.
Thanks to the following sites for their free images:
Thanks to Bits, Bytes and Chips for the Brochure Template
Special thanks to Ron Mastine and Marianne Gazaille for their help and support.